The Skelligs Rocks boat trip in the 1930's was not for the faint hearted. Seven boats would carry up to 50 people in each boat with no life jackets accross chjoppy seas the 7 miles out in open sea to Skellig Michael. The pathways were overgrown and the beehive huts were in the same state as they were when St. Finan founded his monastery which was vacated in the 13th century. Mass has been celebrated by locals since the 16th century and in the 1940's our founding father Daniel MacMonagle accompanied the 'pilgrims' on their annual Mass trip in late September to capture these historic photographs showing the local priest leading the adventure.
Photo: Daniel MacMonagle - macmonagle.com